Sunday, February 7, 2021

Taking on Additional Texture

 

Delivery on a scooter with Indian lunch 

After which I take a three-hour nap alone

Then go to the riverside to read Deng Xiaoping

As she chats in the lobby and glances over

To see me skirting to the recycle bin

Discarding an empty wine bottle we didn’t drink

Without asking to explain anything why.

 

The evening starts out early together

Putting decorative film on the frosted glass

Under the cold florescent ceiling light bulb

In the hall connecting the dinette and bedroom

Then she places the mantle clock we'd gotten

A clean set of living room drapes for tomorrow

For after I've washed the windows and done the floors.

 

A typical evening with tequila getting tight

For TV news that knocks me out from nine till ten

After which she decides not to watch TV at all

or YouTube music videos with no complaints.

So I sit next to the cat as she reads a paper

Moving a leg towards me to caress

Until our midnight showers before bed

 

The other doesn’t understand

She says I should do what I like

Until I say I like it, too; not comparing

Things I do from my heart naturally

Like cleaning windows before lunar New Year

Though it has taken on additional texture

Knowing another completes me.

 

We have a nice evening doing what we can

Red Horse beer that turns into honey

During news and wine, cheese and cold cuts

A Stewart/ Lombard comedy, “Made for Each Other”

And then YouTube music videos loudly

It is what we like doing on Saturday evenings

Until she's asleep and I dream of another.


February 8, 2021

Visit My Author Page 

  Visit My Website
Copyright © 2021 by David Barry Temple. All rights reserved 

No comments:

Post a Comment