Monday, May 11, 2020

A glimmer in a tidy river bend

 
A glimmer in a tidy river bend 
I roll onto my dorsal fin in the sand
The sparkling elegance of my scales
Flaking off in the Taichung summer sun
Until, alone, I become a man
In a humanity of wounded souls,
But then I am stirred, move a muscle,
Held in the hands so delicately
Of one to whom I mean everything.

How many lines must this fisherman cast
So many chances slipped away
Yet for the sweet face of revelry
The chase I must obey
With its brightness of a new day’s promise
A dream to form into the real
From this make-believe life I claim to live
If only I could live to feel
The warmest of snuggles in your river bed

Dreams are all but true
If love can quench your thirst
My hopes may be with you
Connecting in the spirit spray
The endless time of an enchanted day
Born of symbiotic empathy
To eternity from this unreal fantasy
When hearty angels play
I am no longer dust on that day

May 11, 2020
www.readingsandridings.jimdo.com
Purchase "Unnatural Beauty; Poems from the Han Riverside"
Copyright © 2020 by David Barry Temple. All rights reserved 





No comments:

Post a Comment