Monday, September 14, 2020

A World of Change

See live first rendition here 

A pen is too permanent for a world of change

When discoveries and detours are unknown

Beyond the bread and butter issues at home

Who knows where I will roam?

 

An opportune virus opens the door

Quarantined in a hotel to avoid the bends

Decompressing in conditioned air

Holed up like Marco Polo with stories from there

 

Pencil me in to the bottom of the ninth

With the home team down by a run

One hit will tie the score

That is what erasers are for

 

A death in the family would hold be back

Or a gallbladder cyst in need of removal

The orange sun setting in a Taichung sky

As orange clouds o’er Portland drift by

 

Fire needs fuel to keep it bright

A spirit renewed to carry me through

I am burning to see my regeneration

To shatter my porcelain vase of fixation

 

As I sit balanced on the river’s edge

A bridge to developments yet uncrossed

Bats overhead to and fro in their dances

The river between us rolls on taking chances

 

As I sit over here in suspended animation

Watching wispy clouds in the teal of dusk

Migrating birds in formation southerly

To this startled onlooker it seems suddenly

 

The flock knows how they are heading

Not forgetting when and whither

But I take chances with uncharted fate

The Tao’s has good intentions so I mustn't hesitate

 

Write me with pencil in the book of life

Smite my enemies on the road I travel

Nudge me aside from foolish pride

Up and front with nothing to hide

 

A pen is too final for writing a story

Space bar and delete key on the P.C. sticking

As the plot thickens, my character develops

By the true light my intention envelopes


September 14, 2020

www.readingsandridings.jimdo.com
Purchase "Unnatural Beauty; Poems from the Han Riverside"
Copyright © 2020 by David Barry Temple. All rights reserved 



No comments:

Post a Comment