Monday, June 15, 2020

Picking Feet on a Bench



I'm back to the bench where a new spot was found,

Where someone’s left baggage no feet on the ground.

Who would have guessed the places we would go

In four months places I can never again see

Without thinking of her smiling face sitting with me  

Riding bikes round sun-moon lake and up a river

On railroad bridges over roaring torrents of plum rain

My eyes adoring her all the way

Her youthful poise and funny poses

Temperatures rising when we leave

Through tunnels of stalactites dripping down

Settling like glistening permafrost ice

We shared green velvet on a knoll behind the station

Had brunches in many bistros during our vocation

The looks we exchanged up close with glee

Bringing such sorrow to me now

Never did I touch her contagious love

In language our exchanges could not understand

With feelings our hearts could never surpass,

Trailblazing roads that ended off maps too fast

After she was spooked by the darkness

Falling into familiar ruts that run her life down

I return to this spot to see an old woman

Alone with her nail clipper and crippled toes

To the space I had started anew

Like we never really happened

To the rock of ages she threw

The pebbles of a dream that could not come true


June 15, 2020

www.readingsandridings.jimdo.com
Purchase "Unnatural Beauty; Poems from the Han Riverside"
Copyright © 2020 by David Barry Temple. All rights reserved 



No comments:

Post a Comment