Friday, June 19, 2020

Being Here Now

Actions I have taken and may not take again

Are outweighed by actions i am undertaking 

Precisely oblivious to what is around the bend.

Putting one foot in front of the other 

Automatically in the glory of bent toes balance

Directing the trajectory of the step behind

On the way to a destination

 Chosen or prescribed

Without wondering ahead how or why

Only knowing what is given must be used

For nothing is better left undone

As nothing is better left unsaid

Naturally  slow apace 

Than miss a second of life to waste

 

Counterproductive to think of the seat

Until my body is ready to sit

As irrelevant the vacancy of a swimming pool lane

Until my feel are in the water

As I cherish every moment at no future expense

Swimming off steadily into a rhythm

That will pace me through twenty-five laps

Each stroke, legs and arms in concert

Head down thrice and two left twice for breath

One length facing right to smooth the chinks

Always one minute less than I think

In timeless tides being presently aware

Than think of behemoths or to stare

If I take it easy I might get there

 

What of the traffic there and home

Observed from the roadside on my bike

Solo or families drive through yellow to red

Hurrying vehicles into the crossroads ahead

Rushing to pass others on the left or right

To be the first one to reach the next light

What have they gained? Why did they try?

Is there something won in the bye and bye?

Some quick-thrilled pleasure of victorious games

Losing their leisure out of time

 Or waiting impatiently for the next sign

Actions disturbing them I do not care

Taking my time getting there


June 19, 2020

www.readingsandridings.jimdo.com
Purchase "Unnatural Beauty; Poems from the Han Riverside"
Copyright © 2020 by David Barry Temple. All rights reserved 


No comments:

Post a Comment