Sunday, April 7, 2019

My 28th Anniversary Sonnet


The river rushes overgrown with moisture undertow;
Birds don’t dare to fly in there,
A canopy so free winds wayward overblown;
Butterflies strain, lizards stare.
Mountains fall, both big and small;
Dusted leaves caked with debris rust my true eyes tearfully,
Through hidden skies appalled;
All that’s born and greets the dawn dies eventually.
It is not for me to witness thee or dare to ask at all;
Observe, recline, wake and dine never with a doubt,
I am only here to love you, dear, and stand until I fall;
What cannot change me anywhere without,
Crash and burn from marathon miles, not my fashion style,
I live to see the river shores from both sides of your smile.

April 7, 2019
edited June 30, 2019

Copyright © 2019 by David Barry Temple. All rights reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment