Saturday, July 28, 2018

it may happen one day but not quite yet


one day, i will refuse to eat anything but ice-cream
i will forget my name and why i came 
even forget my granddaughter and my pets' names  
everything but your love will be lost, but not quite yet

simple peeves like losing keys are common
did i take my pills and where are my glasses
on the tip of a tongue like a tourniquet
everything will vanish from my mind yet…

do not bring me down with a condescending frown
for forgetting the world or what is new in town
i won’t make a sound when the agent comes around
or make knowing me something to regret

for all the ignoring and turning of the cheek
to let what is nuclear from the family seep
or fall into the sinister hands of a creep
from me recklessly? Not quite yet

it is oedipal to bite the hand that fed
be it clenched fascist or utterly red
loose lips that sink ships  to an untimely bed
will cease to babble as soon as i am dead

for the lost minutes turning joy into blame
or wrists that are sprained by mailing my name
get over on me now but do not regret
it may happen one day, but not quite yet

July 29, 2018
www.readingsandridings.jimdo.com
Purchase "Unnatural Beauty; Poems from the Han Riverside" here.
 Copyright © 2018 by David Barry Temple. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment