Saturday, June 9, 2018

ants from a lychee son


sitting by the river in its only dusky shade
unable to change the world that others made
like a son raised least he could eke out peace
living his life from a battered valise
filled with excuses having been said
and what i wanted to say instead
to a son too far to hear the call
flying high still a long way to fall
and ants at my feet, unrelentingly small

the ants from a discarded lychee 
treading on my feet, up my leg
i squash them back
for giving me flack
for maybe a killer sting
that might infect me,
itch and swell me
mistaken as a lychee
keep its venom from our family

my wayward son sets in the east
far from a Formosan feast
where once there was a way back
now crushed on a foreign tarmac
but i must move on, i cannot remain
in this dusky shade overcome with ant pain  
i must find a brighter bench to stay 
from an inundated shade of swarming ants
though a bright son shines behind my pants

pedal onward the path upstream
leaving the spot i thought i’d like to be
sighting a cool gazebo with no treading 
from a son who crawled around inside himself
then came crawling after me*
like ants from lychee on a trail of starving words
i am rewarded by the sweet sound of singing birds
what i would have missed if i had stubbornly stayed
to crush ants for the goal of a shade

June 9, 2018
www.readingsandridings.jimdo.com
 Copyright © 2018 by David Barry Temple. All rights reserved.
*two lines borrowed from Phil Ochs "Tape from California"

No comments:

Post a Comment