Saturday, April 14, 2018

Scorched Earth


there is always someone burning
scorching the earth
using everything sold or stolen
even me, in an isolated valley
organically grooming my ego
making a smaller carbon footprint
before dying to make none at all
i live with the circumstance of modernity
ashamed of my jealousy and greed
only rage that what a government does
is out of my control
out of my range
for though i know where I will not go back 
and the toys i left i left for recycling
as on the bike path I go 
it jammed with mopeds of foreign laborers
and geezers with rotten teeth
who could care less what law they are breaking
nevertheless share our tiny existence
with nothing but the clothes on our backs
contributing nothing
but damage
caring not what happens tomorrow
like me writing bullshit poetry 
haphazardly making sense of it
and releasing rage in a harmless way
about the scorched earth on the other shore
done for someone’s sickly pleasure
annoying my precious leisure
with burnt smells and blackened hills
from capitalist hell
a decrepit well where business rules
where we put up with thoughtless fools
helpless and hopeless fools
from shithole nations
lying to get us into wars
with our tears ignored

April 14, 2018
www.readingsandridings.jimdo.com
Copyright © 2018 by David Barry Temple. All rights reserved.



No comments:

Post a Comment