Sunday, October 5, 2014

my son's pain doesn't affect her


my son's pain doesn't affect her
to sympathy or love
it tarnishes the warmth 
that took a weekend to brew
the intruder she confused 
as i fended and took a bite
what did she place on the table
but bitter herbs 
and waited to hear me say 'how sweet'
as my son shuffled back to the basement
no natural interest at all
what made the tears so salty 
with a cross to bearably bear
she coexisted
his sisters insisted
grandma and auntie resisted



so she threw her pain into my lap
for me to drain away
after years of saplings
as tall as the trees would grow
still no affection
just a drag from undertow
couldn't see two crazy lovers
loving each other crazily
not unlike her and me
and the love that bore fruit in time

10-6-14




No comments:

Post a Comment