Sunday, March 16, 2014

Buddhist Turtles (from Taichung Journal)

On my bike ride back from up the Han River yesterday morning, 
I noticed a dark round object on one of the boulders in the stream.
 I thought it was a large turtle and took a picture of it with my cell phone.
 When it jumped off the boulder into the water, I knew it was a turtle. 
Just a few minutes later downstream,
 I noticed another dark smaller round object on a boulder.
 I took a photo of another turtle!
 When I got home I told Leona. 
She said there are no native turtles in the Han River; 
it must have gotten there by some Buddhist to get good luck.
 When I woke up last night at 2am,
 I Googled "Turtles in Taiwan" 
and found that there are four native species of water turtle, 
according to some study some professor did. 
There were acknowledgements of Buddhist turtles, too,
 so Leona is probably right, 
though the study did find a few samples of turtle 
in the "Fun-Yuan" (sic) River
I was in Feng-Yuan when I saw the turtles. 
Leona's comment gave me the last verse in a poem I wrote 
along the bank of the Han yesterday.

Nov. 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment