Tuesday, July 4, 2017

an ode to my feet



white feet up to the sock line
tan legs from ankles to shorts
too long shrouded from the river
 an ode to my feet is taught
odorless and not too sweet
walking with them cannot be beat
and when peddling away
let me repeat
there is no better way for us to meet

this may sound flat-footed so to speak
but i have a ball with the sole of my feet
never a heel in the agony of defeat
look a little closer at my tootsies
as they bake in the Taichung sun
the crooked pointer toes
bent from years of tight-fitted shoes
leaning away from the thumb toe grows
that is how the story goes

what will become of the fungus nail
that the poor left thumb toe must bear
with flip-flops on for all to see
i do not have vanity or care
in Taiwan’s open-footed trends
all-season naked to their friends
come out smelling like roses
the other end of peoples’ noses
and any angle from a chair

my pair look quite complete
like any other pair i meet
but my pair grow no hair
none i would care to tweet
i walk them here, i walk them there
down busy city streets for hours
up mountain trails
wet in swimming pools
steamed in saunas or soaped in showers

bound in Chuck Taylors
inside multi-colored Cons
laced tightly ‘round the ankles
kept from tangling bicycle pedals
in socks tucked folded down
spinning inches from the ground
my feet are safe and sound
tortured not by jogging pound
this is how i get around

barefoot strolls in Taiwan summer
no danger here of broken glass
but beware of bites from strangers
hiding in the weeds and grass
and when sore feet need therapy
to blind men in the Taipei metro go
acupuncture from masseuses
or do it myself rubbing slow
though some may think that too retro

from footbath to footpath run
from ocean to burning sand
between my toes on a blanket goes
kicking out the jams
on a beach chair tap a tune
or dancing with my mama
around the living room
only feet appreciate
a foot would understand

no marching off to war for them
that is where i make my stand
on the sacred home ground
side-stepping goose-stepping
my partner’s feet unbound
rubbing her toes tenderly
wiggling and tickling her
and pinching her hounds
when no one is around

walking knee-deep down a river
sliding on pebbles, slipping on stones
in the coolness of a emerald quarry pond
dive feet of tired bones
or immersed in a mountain stream 
an aboriginal dream 
through a forest of lush green ink
but when there is no natural setting
bathe them in a sink


July 4, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment